Boost ancillary revenue by cross-selling and upselling
Increasing revenue in departments apart from rooms is a big part of total revenue management. Especially since cashflow is a challenge for many hotels right now, generating more revenue across the board can make a deciding difference.
Implement a cross-selling and upselling initiative. Use this low-demand period to train staff in upselling guests to higher category rooms and to promote other departments. For example, offer a discount on spa or F&B services if guests book on the day they arrive.
Streamline upselling and cross-selling with a tech solution. Using an automated upselling platform will save you hours, take pressure off your staff and even allow you to promote offers to guests pre-arrival. This drastically increases your conversion rates and ancillary revenue.
Create unique offers and deals. Make your upselling and cross-selling initiative more successful by offering your guests fun and exciting deals on top of the usual room upgrades. Let your creativity run wild here and test different options to see what your guests enjoy. Doing this lets guests personalise their stay in a way they couldn’t before and ensures they’ll have an unforgettable time.
Focus on leisure offers since the leisure segment will be the first to recover and these guests are generally more open to upgrading their stay.
Revenue-generating ideas across departments
Below are a few ideas on how to generate ancillary revenue at your property. If they don’t all work for you, use this list as inspiration – come up with something new and unique to try at your hotel, the possibilities are endless!
Food and beverage:
- Extend restaurant opening hours to balance out restaurant occupancy restrictions
- Reduce menu options and work with seasonal specials to save on food cost and offer variety
- Join local food delivery services
- Offer deluxe dining packages in suites, by the pool or on the beach
- Pre-sell F&B credit at a 10 or 15% discount to encourage in-house spend
- Create special spa packages or offers for couples
- Promote your most profitable spa treatments via pre-arrival messaging
- Pre-sell spa credit with a 10 or 15% discount
- Set up combination packages including both F&B and spa services
- Monetise your parking spaces with pre-arrival messaging or by opening them up to locals
- Partner with local tour operators, guides and destinations (e.g. theme parks) to offer guests fun activities they can do outside of the hotel
- Come up with family-friendly offers like movie night packages, pastry or cooking classes kids and parents can enjoy together
Place your USP at the fore of your brainstorming process to delight your guests and generate additional revenue. Every little bit counts and every additional perk to a stay will bring it closer to becoming an unforgettable experience for your clientele. Stay focused on your guest and you can’t go wrong!